On January 3, 2011, as our sister, Miriam Patrice Tierney, prepared to make her journey home to God, these words from the Prophet Isaiah and the Gospel of Matthew echoed in churches and chapels throughout the world: “The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the shadow of death, a light has shone” (Is 9:1) and “Turn to God with all your heart, the Kingdom of heaven is close at hand (Matt 4:17).” For one who faithfully lived the gospel way of life, what better words could lead her home to the Lord of Light and Love?
Born on August 13, 1922, to Frank and Irene (Le Gere) Tierney, Florence Mary Tierney was baptized and confirmed at St. Brendan Church in Chicago, Illinois. The eldest of three sisters, she learned to care for others spontaneously and generously from any early age. Attending Assumption Parish School from 1928‐1933, she completed junior high school at Altgeld School in 1936 and graduated from Parker High School in 1940. She worked as a factory clerk for several months and on September 8, 1941, she became a postulant with the Sisters of St. Francis of Mary Immaculate. She entered the novitiate the following year and on August 12, 1942, she received her religious name, Sr. Miriam Patrice. Making her first profession on August 12, 1944, she soon embarked on a 35‐year long career as beloved primary grade teacher.